During the summer months, it’s common to use more water than during the other times of the year. From watering your lawn to washing your car or taking more frequent showers, household water consumption can significantly increase.
As your Redwood City plumbers, our team offers these water conservation tips that will be sure to decrease your utility bills while also protecting this precious resource. Here are ways to save water in your home:
- Keep a pitcher of water in your refrigerator. It will always be cold and will save water by eliminating the need to run water from the faucet until it becomes cold enough.
- Use a bucket and sponge to wash your car instead of spraying gallons and gallons of water with the garden hose.
- Instead of a hose, use a rake or push broom to clean sidewalks, patios, and paths.
- Grow plants that are drought-tolerant.
- Add mulch around plants to help retain soil moisture.
- Check for leaks in outdoor hoses, sprinklers, and sprayers.
- If possible, collect rainwater for watering outdoor plants.
- Direct gutters and downspouts to water your lawn and any ornamental plants.
- Water the lawn or garden during the late evening hours so that the water can soak in properly. Watering during the heat of the day means most of your water will evaporate.
- Use a timer when watering your lawn or garden.
- Cover pools and hot tubs when not in use to prevent excess evaporation.
For more information about how you can conserve water in your home through leak detection, new fixtures, or any other method, call our team at Benjamin Franklin Plumbing Bay Area today at 415-459-3266.
Related Post: Save water, energy and money switching to efficiency plumbing fixtures